Jim Harrington...

We celebrate those friends who enriched our lives before passing on.
Bret Kepner
Jim Harrington...

Postby Bret Kepner » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 am

One of the most prolific competitors in the history of sportsman drag racing, Jim Harrington was capable of winning in anything he drove. The New Jersey driver earned NHRA and IHRA National Event titles in everything from Stock to Modified Eliminator and scored major bracket racing victories in dozens of different machines. Harrington applied radically different ideas in drag racing theory and developed an amazingly successful strategy which made him one of the most feared opponents. Instilled with a desire to see his comrades succeed, he taught virtually all his trade secrets to students of his own Drag Racing School and was responsible for the development of hundreds of today's best-known racers.

His enthusiasm for the sport was matched only by his love of life and his wife, Tracey. Each day was an adventure and each trip brought new stories to be treasured. Known by such monikers as "Happy Harry", "Big Jim" and "Jimmy the Shoe", every moment spent with Harrington was a party in itself. He was a giant in both physical stature and drag racing legend and, whether judged by event titles or friendships earned, will be remembered as one of the sport's all-time winners.
Last edited by Bret Kepner on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bret Kepner
http://www.bretkepnerphotos.com
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

WCB

Re: Jim Harrington...

Postby WCB » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:43 am

Rest Big Jim
God Bless You
www.wallybell.com

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:48 am

I had a chance for a quick talk with him last season at the Pro Am race at Pittsburgh Raceway Park. He's quite the character for sure. May you rest in peace Jimmy, and my condolences go out to your family.
Be kind to whomever you meet, because everyones fighting some kind of battle.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 am

I remember Jim decimating a few massive fields of bracket cars at MIR... he certainly was feared on the track. Glad to see him remembered for his friendship. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 am

Rest in peace, Jim. Thanks for your dedication and enthusiasm for our sport. Thank you for the detailed post, Bret. WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 am

Everything Bret said about Jim Harrington definitely rings true with my experience of knowing the man... I've known Jim for many years... On our England To Englishtown video, we praise Jim and his incredible Bracket Racing skills-- He was among the elite "masters" of E.T. Racing... I remember back in the day when Jim would bring his Bracket dragster to the strip on an old ramp truck... Jim always had a smile for me, he was a friendly man, he always took the time to explain things to me when I asked him to... Our heartfelt condolences to Jim's family... We're going to miss Jim, but we certainly won't ever forget him... Diana
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Return to “Lost Friends”